A scrumptious family favourite, easy to prepare and ideal to freeze.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 500g frozen mince
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- Salt and pepper
- 100g frozen peas
- 900g mashed potatoes
- 50g soft butter
- 50g cheese, grated - optional
- Preheat the oven to 200c gas mark 6
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and carrot on a medium heat until soft
- Add the mince and turn the heat to full until the mince is fully brown, stir throughout.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and crumble in the stock cube with 100ml of hot water.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce, once done, add the peas and give everything a good stir.
- Add the butter into your mash and make sure it’s melted all the way through
- Pour the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash, use a fork to rough up the top (this will help its colour). If you’re adding cheese, sprinkle on the top now.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until it’s hot all the way through and has a golden top.
Freezing and defrosting instructions
If you’re planning to freeze the whole pie, after baking, simply let it fully cool and then cover tightly with foil and pop it in the freezer for up to 2 months. If not, put what you plan to freeze in an airtight freezer-safe container, if it’s at room temperature, pop in the freezer and again, use within 2 months. To defrost, put in the fridge overnight to defrost and then bake in the oven at 200c until piping hot.
* Given the current circumstances please be mindful that all products may not be in stock.